Sauna Weight Loss?
Yes. Sauna weight loss occurs for many reasons.
"Regular use of a sauna or steam bath may impart a similar stress on the cardiovascular system as exercise, and its regular
use may be as effective as a means of cardiovascular conditioning and burning calroies as regular exercise."
- W. Dean, "Effect of Sweating"
The Journal of the American Medical Association
Vol. 246, pg. 623
One reason is water loss, which is not permanent and can be detrimental to your
health. We are not referring to this. We recommend drinking plenty of warm water before, during and after the
sauna weight loss session. Insuring you burn calories and fat, without dehydrating yourself.
The benefits of Saunas and Steam Baths
- Very effective in reducing stress and Cortisol levels which inhibit weight loss
- Improve circulation and improve heart function, especially for heart patients
- Balance blood sugar levels
- Improve the health of your nervous system, most likely due to relaxation
- Elimination of hundreds of chemicals and toxins from body tissue
- Improve thyroid function by elimination of pesticides from blood stream
- Increases Metabolic Rate by removing toxins which inhibit metabolism
- The more weight you lose, the more important detoxification is to avoid weight loss plateaus
Initally, keep your sauna weight loss sessions to no more than 10 minutes. After a few weeks add an additional sauna session.
For example, take a sauna for 10 minutes, cool off for 5 minutes (cool shower), then go back in for another 10 minutes. Work your way up to
a total time of 30-60 minutes per session for maximum results. Perform 3-4 times weekly.
Drink a glass of water 30 minutes before your session. Drink an additional glass of warm water immediately before the session.
Bring a warm bottle of water in and continue sipping throughtout your session. Drink an additional glass of warm water immediately after leaving.
Take a multi-vitamin / mineral pill daily to replace the minerals lost through sweating.
I don't have a local sauna, now what?
- You can purchase an infrared sauna for home use.
- Turn the shower on Hot, leave the fan off and place a towel under the door to trap the steam.
- You can also wear a sauna suit during moderate exercise to increase body temperature and sweating.
I will add sauna weight loss to my routine. What else can I do?